Faro has a very different atmosphere to the busy and hectic resort towns of the western Algarve. The city is very scenic, especially within the old walled town and the area surrounding the marina.
Faro boasts more historic monuments and buildings than many other Algarve towns, while the pleasant shopping zone is lined with open-air cafes and designed for Portuguese shoppers. Departing from the small harbour are tours of the Ria Formosa nature park, and ferries to the deserted beaches on the sandbar islands.
Highlights of Faro city
• The macabre bone chapel, within the Igreja do Carmo church
• The ancient Se cathedral and amazing views over the city
• The neo-classical Arco da Vila gate set in the ancient Moorish city walls
• The relaxed Jardim Manuel Bivar
• The Portuguese tailored nightlife of the Rua do Prior street
Highlights of the Faro region
• A boat tour of the Ria Formosa nature park
• The deserted beaches of the Ilha Deserta
• The small fishing community on the Ilha da Culatra
• The bustling beach res